Creativity and art have many forms of expression, but narrowing down on the mainstream outlets that are largely accepted and popular would be art in the form of books for people to read, composing music for people to listen, and making movies for people to watch.
Apart from the obvious pleasure any of the art forms like films, music, and books are catering to the senses and perception of the people who are exposed to them, there are also a host of other benefits, some of which are discussed here in detail:
- Stimulation of the mind: Studies showed positive results of the mind getting enough stimulation every day through exposure to these art forms. This stimulation can slow down the progress of neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s and dementia. The primary reason behind this that the mind is active and engaged all the time, or at least most of the time.
- Spread happiness: As much as any art forms bring joy to the maker or presenter, it is also transferred to the audience when they engage themselves in it. Association with music, books, or films makes the brain release dopamine, which is referred to as the happy and feel-good neurotransmitter.
- Reduce stress levels and improve the health: Art forms like music, books, and films can touch the hearts of people, irrespective of their culture and ethnic background. Participating in any of the above-mentioned forms of art like music, books, or movies on a regular basis has shown to decrease the release of the stress hormone, cortisol. Studies say that stress causes nearly 60% of all diseases and illnesses out there, and reducing if not eliminating it can definitely ensure a healthy life.
- Develops critical thinking: Exposure to films, music, and books has shown to craft and make people more critical and analytical in their thinking and their outlook toward life. It also helps them to get a better understanding of the world we live in.
- Improves memory: Art forms like films, music, or books assist in improving the memory as it is important for people to remember and understand all the ideas, concepts, characters and background in them. This forces the mind to improve its memory abilities.
- Enhances the imagination: No exposure to films, music, or books restricts a person with regard to their thinking and approach to tackle a situation, whereas enhancement of the imagination equips them to innovate and give new solutions and ideas. Thinking outside the box can only be achieved by highly imaginative and creative people, and these art forms encourage imagination and creativity.
- Sources of motivation and inspiration: Listening to inspiration and motivational talks or self-help talks helps to motivate people, and the same or similar content can be in the form of books. Movies have the added advantage of visual impact, and music is known to have therapeutic properties to soothe and calm the mind.